Sat 28
Girls Reds U14s
Edinburgh South
Broxburn v Edinburgh South

Broxburn v Edinburgh South

By David Martin
Share via

A game of 2 Halves

Broxburn 2 v Edinburgh 1
Roulston (52)
Martin (70)

Edinburgh South: (2)

Martin (52)
K.Howard (70)

Match Stats:
Broxburn v Edinburgh South
55% Possession 45%
14 Shots on Target 7
5 Shots off Target 3
8 Corners 1
1 Fouls Committed 3

Match Report:
A few more titles and cup winners have been decided as the season swiftly moves towards its close with the club grande finale taking place tonight as Real Madrid and Liverpool battle it out for the champions of Europe crown. Lyon took the ladies European title last weekend and in Scotland Glasgow City and Celtic will battle it out for the ladies Scottish Cup tomorrow and then all eyes turn to international games with Scotland men still in pursuit of playing in the World Cup for the first time in 24 years. On a local level the Broxburn Reds still have a few games to go before they get into the summer break starting with todays match against bottom of the table Edinburgh South at Stewartfield, with Broxburn sitting 4th in the table after 5 games played.
The Reds got this one underway shooting to the East but it was Edinburgh who were first to threaten as the ball was played through and their attacker latched on to it but the Broxburn defence got back into position and looked to have cleared the danger until the Edinburgh midfielder struck a spectacular high looping effort from 25 yards that sailed into the net and with 2 minutes played saw Edinburgh go into an early lead.
Broxburn were quick to respond with a move down the right that ended with K.Howard shooting wide of the goal but Broxburn were quickly back on it from the goal kick as K.Howard played in Roulston who shot wide to the keepers left. The ball was bouncing around in the midfield with neither team getting complete control but it was Broxburn again who threatened next as Martin latched on to a through ball and took it to the right before shooting high to the keepers left which the keeper saved and put out for a corner which came to nothing in the end.
On the 19th minute Edinburgh had a great chance to extend their lead as a long ball split the defence and saw the Edinburgh attacker race clear and was bearing down on goal but C.Howard kept her positioning and closed the angle at the important moment and the shot came straight at her which was saved and then gathered.
Broxburn then went back on the attack with White Gallagher collecting the ball on the edge of the box and taking a touch to set up the shot which the Edinburgh keeper saved. The next effort came from K.Howard on the right hand side after some neat play by Laurie and Martin in the centre but the final effort was again saved by the Edinburgh keeper.
Edinburgh South threatened from a free kick played into the danger zone but as Shand and McDonald wouldn't allow the Edinburgh South attackers to turn and get a shot away and the ball eventually was turned over and cleared as the first half came to an end. At this point it felt like it may be one of those days as the girls were producing chances but the Edinburgh keeper was doing very well and standing up to the Broxburn pressure but fair to say the girls hadn't properly got into their groove.
Broxburn made some tactical changes as White Gallagher slotted back into the centre of defence and Shand moved back to her right back berth and Lynch took up a midfield role.
The second half kicked off and it was evident immediately that there was more energy about the team as they pushed up higher at the back and the passing game was starting to come together. Broxburn came close to equalising in the 37th minute as a hopeful ball was played through into the Edinburgh box which Lynch was quick to chase down as the keeper advanced and spilled under pressure from Lynch who took it past the keeper and squared the ball to Martin in the middle of the goal but as she turned to hit it the Edinburgh defender just managed to get in front of her and the ball deflected for a corner. The corner resulted in a shot from Roulston which went wide of the left post.
Edinburgh went on the offensive with some good play out from the back and set their left winger free before passing into the middle and receiving the ball back before shooting high over the bar.
Broxburn were now playing 3 and at times 4 in attack and with the next phase of play Roulston was set free beyond the Edinburgh defence but the referee blew for offside which was more than a little dubious and wouldn't be the last dubious call of the morning.
The Reds didn't have to wait too long however for their next chance as K.Howard played Martin in who shot across the keeper but the keeper again made the save but this time spilled it and Roulston was following in and slotted home to bring the tie level and finally the second half pressure told as Edinburgh started to look ragged in defence.
Broxburn kept the pressure on and this time Nas playing it forward to Miller who took it past 2 of the defenders and then stretched out before playing the ball into the middle but again the referee called offside when there appeared to be no Broxburn player in an offside position.
Broxburn had a series of efforts and corners over the coming minutes but on the 61st minute a nice move through Martin and Lynch saw K.Howard one on one with the keeper and once again the keeper made a fine save to deny the goal.
Edinburgh looked to hit on the counter with a long ball up the right which their winger took and played a great cross into the box but the 2 advancing attackers were unable to get on the end of it.
Broxburn quickly broke up the park and threaded a ball through to Martin which saw her burst forward away from the defence and this looked like the opportunity to win the match but as the keeper closed the angle the shot across her drifted wide of the left post and out for the goal kick however Broxburn weren't finished there as just 2 minutes later and in the final minute of normal time the ball was played up to K.Howard who threaded the ball through and again Martin raced clear of the defence and one on one with the keeper and put a bit more on this effort with good elevation to beat the keeper and the ball nestled into the bottom left of the goal, guaranteeing a deserved 3 points for the home team.
After a scrappy first half, the second half was very much a performance that the Reds should be proud of and shows what a good team they are especially after last weeks disappointment in the League Plate semi-final. Player of the match would have to go to the Edinburgh South goalkeeper who kept them in it with some great saves through-out the game. A great 3 points for the Reds that keeps them in the hunt for the league, 2 games to go against Lauderdale and Cockenzie before the summer break.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 28, May 2022



Meet time